Study reveals how Malta looked 20,000 years ago

Thursday, 03 Jan 2013, 10:00

 

A study on Malta's landscape revealed how the islands looked 20,000 years ago.

The team of geologists from the University of Malta, led by Aaron Micallef, shows Malta and its sister islands as one block of land and is two and a half times larger than it is today.

At this time, Europe was experiencing the Last Ice Age and sea level in the Mediterranean Sea was 130 metres lower than at present. Malta, Gozo and Comino were connected and the archipelago was two and a half times larger than it is today. Dingli Cliffs towered 380m above sea level whilst Valletta was located 10km inshore.

The coastline from Marsalforn to Pembroke consisted of steep coastal cliffs that were incised by more than 20 valleys. Numerous limestone plateaus hosted collapsed caves and featured landslides along their margins. A 40 km wide land bridge connected southeast Malta all the way to the south of Sicily.

Sea level rise during the last 20,000 years has drowned 450 km2 of this landscape, meaning that the largest part of the Maltese Islands is today under water.

By surveying the seafloor around the Maltese Islands with state-of-the-art mapping technology, an international team of geologists has reconstructed the majority of this submerged landscape in great detail. The results are going to be published in ‘Marine Geology’, a leading international journal reporting on developments in marine geology and geophysics.

The results from this study are important for a number of reasons. Firstly, several parts of this submerged landscape, such as caves and valleys, could have provided ideal sites for preserving evidence of prehistoric human occupation or animal activity. Further investigations may thus shed light on the origin of the Maltese megalithic society and animal migration routes to sites such as Ghar Dalam.

Secondly, submerged landscapes also comprise archives of past changes in climate and sea level, and their study will be crucial for predicting future climate change and its impact on the Maltese Islands.

Thirdly, the study also identifies which areas of the Maltese coastal waters constitute a hazard to seafloor
infrastructure, deserve protection from human activities, or provide attractions to divers, thus contributing valuable information to marine spatial planners.

This study was led by Dr Aaron Micallef from the University of Malta and forms part of MAPSCAPE, a projectinvolving CNR-ISMAR, National Oceanography Centre, CNR-IRPI and University of Modena and Reggio Emilia.

Aaron Micallef, who led the study, told maltastar.com: "This study is a result of a team effort between Italian, British and Maltese academic institutions, who have shared expertise, infrastructure and limited funding over the last 3 years.

"The most fascinating part of the project for me was being out on the research vessels doing the surveys with my colleagues and seeing these beautiful landscape features slowly appearing on the screen. We thought we would find such features on the seafloor, but their abundance, diversity and preservation has surprised us all, particularly the valleys and the collapsed caves.

"I believe that our submerged natural heritage is quite unique and deserves protection and further study. In fact, our paper is just the first part of the story. So far we have only mapped 70% of the submerged landscape in detail. As soon as we find the required funds, we plan to survey the remaining 30% of the landscape as well as the land bridge that connected our islands to Sicily. The latter is likely guarding some interesting secrets!"

Comments
(all fields are required)
Name
E-mail
Phone
Comment
Write the word
in the textbox
below it.
This Is CAPTCHA Image
Comments (1)

Wenzu Cole

- Thu 03-Jan-2013, 11:29

Very interesting study. May I also point out that around 1999, stone structures very similar to our megalithic temples were discovered off the coast of Qawra. This may suggest that our temples are actually much older then we actually think.