Syria agrees on troops withdrawal for UN peace plan

Tuesday, 03 Apr 2012, 13:25

 

Recent comments

The Syrian Government has informed the lead international envoy dealing with the crisis in that country that it will complete the withdrawal of troops and heavy weapons from population centres by 10 April, the President of the United Nations Security Council said on Monday.

The Joint Special Envoy of the United Nations and the League of Arab States, Kofi Annan, briefed the Council via video-link in a closed-door session earlier Monday, telling the 15-member body that he was informed of Syria’s decision in a letter he received yesterday from the country’s foreign minister.

“Mr. Annan said he wished that he had this confirmation of action sooner,” Ambassador Susan Rice of the United States, which holds the rotating presidency of the Council for this month, told reporters after the session.

Nonetheless, “he urged the Government of Syria to start immediately and to ensure that forces move no further into population centres,” she said. “And as he related, that commitment was provided by the Syrian authorities.”

Mr. Annan was appointed Joint Special Envoy earlier this year to try to resolve the crisis in Syria, where more than 8,000 civilians have been killed since March 2011 when a popular uprising began.

Source: UN News Centre

Comments
(all fields are required)
Name
E-mail
Phone
Comment
Write the word
in the textbox
below it.
This Is CAPTCHA Image
Comments (0)
World news

Pistorius gets five years for manslaughter

Pistorius in court for sentencing

Pistorius still awaiting sentence for manslaughter

Pistorius pre-sentencing resumes

Pistorius sentencing today

Syria fights back against IS

Hong Kong leader rejects calls to stand down

Hong Kong braces for pro-democracy rally

Obama: US underestimated threat of IS

Obama tells UN: Isis is death network