The following caught my eye during my early morning review of the local newspapers nine days ago :
"Mistakes are always forgiveable, if one has the courage to admit them. " Bruce Lee (Times of Malta 20/07/12 Page 24)
Can readers add to this preliminary list of 'mistakes' that the present Party in Government should confess to and that both Parties need promise in their electoral manifestos never to repeat:
1. Political Party leadership should be less dictatorial and deal with the admittedly more difficult task of involving more independent-minded individuals as Party officials.
2. Nomination to Boards and authorities should be much less 'partisan'...and only the exceptional should serve on the same organisation beyond a 5 year term.
3. Contract Committees must be seen to favour a fairer distribution of contract awards as opposed to the supremacy of the very few omnipresent bidders ( perhaps solely through more judicious balancing of internal powers within the Contract Committee ).
4. Ministers accused in Parliament of what is at best 'administrative incompetence or error' should never be saved by the mere vote of the supposedly 'independent' Speaker of the House.
5. A Leader of any Political Party should never be appointed to the Presidency as long-honed partisan tendencies may resurrect subsequent to their serving as Head of State.
Now is the time for all citizens of good will to contribute to electoral manifestos which will determine whether our beloved small nation moves towards a Fairer Society within the next five years.